Tyne and Wear HER(4207): Walker Colliery, Anne Pit - Details
Walker Colliery, Anne Pit
Coal Mining Site
Walker Colliery Anne Pit. Walker Colliery opened before 1765. Owners were Lambert & Co (1850s), N.G. Lambert & Co and then Walker Coal Company Ltd. By 1862 (the year of a major disaster at Walker Colliery see HER 4206) the Anne shaft had been closed for several years and had only been opened up about a year before when it had been deepened to reach the Low Main Seam. Closed in 1920.
<< HER 4207 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, p 100