Tyne and Wear HER(4212): Walker, Lawson's Main Wagonway - Details
Walker, Lawson's Main Wagonway
This ENE-WSW running line, probably a Grand Allies route from Lawson’s Main Colliery, is marked as an ‘old wagonway’ on the first edition 25” Ordnance Survey. It is shown running from east of Lawson’s Main Pit towards the River Tyne in Walker. The indicated line is only partial; it is not known if it continued on the same alignment to the river - which would have taken it to the staiths used by Fair Pit from 1753 - if it dipped to the south towards Wincomblee staiths which were in use by 1766, or whether it ran to an entirely different set of staiths somewhere in Walker.
<< HER 4212 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne: Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project 2011-12