Tyne and Wear HER(4214): Walker, Delight Pit - Details
Walker, Delight Pit
Coal Mining Site
Delight Pit. Date of first working uncertain but a report book contains a document from 1824 containing queries by Matthias Dun regarding the best methods of working Charlotte, Delight and Engine Pits, Walker Colliery. The pit was in decline by 1912 the OS plan shows that the pithead and ancillary buildings were no longer present. Site now occupied by St Albans School.
<< HER 4214 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98; Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2008, Sir Charles Parsons School, Westbourne Avenue, Walker - Archaeological Assessment