Tyne and Wear HER(4217): Walker, Miller, Ravenhill and Co Shipbuilding Yard - Details
Walker, Miller, Ravenhill and Co Shipbuilding Yard
Marine Construction Site
The partnership of Miller and Ravenhill, both southern engineers who moved to the North East, began construction of vessels at Low Walker in 1851 with the iron steamer Chusan for the P&O Line. The company had left the Tyne by 1855. On the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of the area the yard is annotated ‘Ship building Yard (Iron). It contains substantial rows of buildings to north and west including furnaces in the northern row. The southern portion of the yard includes a walled dock or inlet. Two building berths lie towards the northern end of the yard. Cranes lie to north of the slips and adjacent to the inlet. By the time of the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey the yard has been subsumed within the Neptune Yard. The site now lies within the current Swan Hunter Yard, and it would seem unlikely that early features will have survived.
<< HER 4217 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record.