Tyne and Wear HER(4252): Kenton, East Kenton Colliery - Details
Kenton, East Kenton Colliery
Coal mining Site
Kitty's Drift, an underground railway was apparently built from East Kenton Colliery to staiths on the Tyne in 1770. A subterranean tunnel and the colliery ("Kenton E.t") is shown on Lambert's map of 1807. The colliery is shown as a "pit heap" on a plan of East Kenton Estate of 1841 and "pit" on Bell's map of 1847. On Oliver's map of 1851 it is shown linked to Old Engine Pit by a road or wagonway. On the 25" first edition a shaft is marked. Shown as Old mine shaft and spoil heap on Ordnance Survey second edition. Still shown as an old shaft on the Ordnance Survey of 1941.
<< HER 4252 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 88, SW; Lambert, 1807, Plan of the Rivers Tyne and Wear.. Also a plan of Newcastle; R. Welford, 1879, A History of the Parish of Gosforth, p. 84