Tyne and Wear HER(4261): Gosforth, Salters Lane - Details
Newcastle and N Tyneside
Gosforth, Salters Lane
Salters Lane as shown on Ordnance Survey first edition. Now known as Salter's Road. This was the old salt road from Seaton Sluice where there were salt pans until the eighteenth century. In Blyth, salt works were managed by the monks of Newminster in the twelfth century. The salt route ran over Salter's Bridge (HER 313), down to Haddrick's Mill (HER 1391), past St Nicholas' Church and up to the Great North Road and west along what is now Salter's Road into the countryside to depots in the hills. Wayside inns and rest points would have been available along the route.
<< HER 4261 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 88