Tyne and Wear HER(4272): Walbottle Moors Wagonway, Greenwich Moor Branch - Details
Walbottle Moors Wagonway, Greenwich Moor Branch
This was part of the Walbottle Moors Wagonway owned by the Duke of Northumberland. Some parts of the system pre-date 1767 and it was working by 1780, but had closed by the mid-19th century. It is the only surviving 18th century wagonway in the Newcastle District and in the area immediately north of the Tyne. It survives in an excellent state of preservation as an original feature, not having been overlain by a later railway. The line has an association with George Stephenson, who was employed on the line as a boy, and later in its associated pits.
<< HER 4272 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 87, SE; C.R. Warn, 1976, Waggonways and Early Railways of Northumberland, 1605-1840; Walker and Warner, 1952, Northumberland; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne: Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project 2011-12; Headland Archaeology, 2017. Dewley Hill Surface Mine.