Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Walbottle Moors Wagonway, Broom Hall Branch

Tyne and Wear HER(4273): Walbottle Moors Wagonway, Broom Hall Branch - Details

Back to Search Results


4273


Newcastle


Walbottle Moors Wagonway, Broom Hall Branch


Walbottle


NZ16NE


Transport


Tramway


Wagonway


Post Medieval


C18


Earthwork


This was part of the Walbottle Moors Wagonway owned by the Duke of Northumberland. Some parts of the system pre-date 1767 and it was working by 1780, but had closed bythe mid-19th century. It is the only surviving 18th century wagonway in the Newcastle District and in the area immediately north of the Tyne. It survives in an excellent state of preservation as an original feature, not having been overlain by a later railway. The line has an association with George Stephenson, who was employed on the line as a boy, and later in its associated pits. A section of this wagonway, just south of Broom Hall, is scheduled along with Lady Pit (HER ref. 3976). The well preserved remains of the wagonway embankment lie to the west of Lady Pit, to which it was linked by two short branch lines. The wagonway overlies an area of ridge and furrow, which is also included in the scheduling because its relationship to the mining features illustrates the impact of the Dewley pits on the earlier rural landscape. SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT


1674


6938


NZ16746938



<< HER 4273 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 87, SE English Heritage, 1998, Schedule Entry Monument No. 30923; C.R. Warn, 1976, Waggonways and Early Railways of Northumberland, 1605-1840; Walker and Warner, 1952, Northumberland; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne: Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project 2011-12; Gibson 1787: Plan of the Collieries of the Rivers Tyne and Wear; Casson 1801: Map of the Rivers Tyne and Wear

Back to Search Results