Tyne and Wear HER(4287): Walker, Station (Low Walker) - Details
Walker, Station (Low Walker)
Railway Transport Site
A Railway Station at Walker on the North Eastern Railway's Newcastle and Tynemouth Riverside Branch. Opened 1st May 1879. Until 13th May 1889 this station was called Low Walker. Goods facilities closed 14th Aug 1967. Passenger service was withdrawn from the line July 23rd 1973. Tracks removed 1987. The station was single storey brick structure in H-plan with a cantilevered platform awning embraced by cross wings. The station buildings at St Peters, St Anthony's, Walker and Willington Quay were all the same H-plan structure. Designed by Benjamin Burleigh. A subway connected the two platforms.Station now demolished. A scrapyard occupies the site of the station.
<< HER 4287 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 98, NW; http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/walker/index.shtml