Tyne and Wear HER(4289): East Denton, Montague Main Colliery (Caroline Pit) - Details
East Denton, Montague Main Colliery (Caroline Pit)
Coal Mining Site
Montague Colliery was opened in 1750 by William Benson, closed 1959. The Mickley Coal Company utilised part of Kitty's Drift (underground railway, HER 6959) in the 1930s to take coal from Caroline Pit to the screens at the closed View Pit. The colliery was run by the National Coal Board from 1947.
<< HER 4289 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97, NW; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; James T. Tuck, 1997, The Colleries of Northumberland; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne: Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project 2011-12; Gibson 1787: Plan of the Collieries of the Rivers Tyne and Wear; Casson 1801: Map of the Rivers Tyne and Wear