Tyne and Wear HER(4294): Lemington, West Denton Colliery - Details
Lemington, West Denton Colliery
Coal Mining Site
West Denton Colliery, Yarmouth Pit opened in 1792. There were two other associated pits - Kew Pit and North or Gin Pit. It was owned by Edward Montagu MP in the 1700s, and later by West Denton Colliery Company. Nothing is shown here on Ordnance Survey first edition, an air shaft is shown on second edition, but by third edition (1919) West Denton Colliery, Yarmouth Pit is shown. The colliery closed in 1924.
<< HER 4294 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97, NW; 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1919; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk