Tyne and Wear HER(4307): Scotswood, Delaval Colliery - Details
Scotswood, Delaval Colliery
Coal Mining Site
Delaval Colliery is shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan, but is not shown on the 1st edition plan, indicating that it opened after 1858. The colliery had a firebrick works from 1873-1906, belonging to John O Scott. In 1900 it produced 5 million firebricks.
<< HER 4307 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97, NW P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9,83