Tyne and Wear HER(4313): Benwell, South Benwell Fire Brick Works/The E & M Yard - Details
Benwell, South Benwell Fire Brick Works/The E & M Yard
Brick and Tilemaking Site
Fire Clay Works
South Benwell Fire Brick Works, also known as the E & M Yard opened after 1858. It was run by the Carr family, using clay from their Benwell Charlotte Colliery, and was automated after 1894. It was split into two yards, with 27 Newcastle Kilns, from which firebricks were transported by river and rail to many of the other Tyneside industries.
<< HER 4313 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97, NW P.J. Davidson, pp 68-9,83