Tyne and Wear HER(4332): Jesmond, Armstrong Bridge - Details
Title of image: Armstrong Bridge, Jesmond
Date: circa 1900
Description: A photograph of Armstrong Bridge, Jesmond taken c.1900. The photograph shows the central section of the bridge supported by iron columns. There are tree branches in the foreground and trees in the background. A group of sheds and cultivated land can be seen under the bridge.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hotels and Restaurants Collection
Accession number: NCL 037701
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Jesmond, Armstrong Bridge
Road Transport Site
Armstrong Bridge was built between 1876 and 1878, opening on 30th April 1878 to replace the crossing of the Ouseburn via Benton Bank. The greater part of its cost was met by Lord (then Sir William) Armstrong, and he and his works at Elswick were responsible for its design and the construction of the ironwork. The bridge has 8 wrought iron girder spans, supported by 7 pairs of wrought iron columns with sandstone piers and abutments. Its unique feature is its use of rocker and sliding bearings, and separate girder support to compensate for possible mining subsidence and thermal distortion. It stands 65 feet (20 metres) above Jesmond Dene and has a total length of 552 feet (168 metres). Repairs were undertaken in the early 1980s and 1993/4, including replacement of the columns with steel replicas. LISTED GRADE 2
<< HER 4332 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97, NE I.M. Ayris, & S.M. Linsley, 1994, A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Tyne and Wear, p.18 M. Bussell, 1984, The Armstrong Bridge, For In Trust magazine W.K.V. Gale, 1979, Armstrong Bridge, Jesmond Dene, Department of the Environment D.R. Pigg, 1980, Lecture on the Armstrong Bridge, Presented to Brunswick Mens Club 17.6.1980; Newspaper article about the opening of the bridge 1 May 1878, Newcastle Local Studies Library, Jesmond Miscellaneous Articles, Vol 1, p 46; Michael Bussell of Ove Arup and Partners, in Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust In Trust Issue No. 12, November, 1984; John Penn, 2009, The Enigmatic Architect: Frank West Rich (1840-1929), Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th Series, Vol XXXVIII, pp 139-149