Tyne and Wear HER(4343): Byker, St Peter's Station - Details
Byker, St Peter's Station
Railway Transport Site
St Peter's Station on the North Eastern Railway's Newcastle and Tynemouth Riverside Branch. Opened May 1st 1879. Closed to goods 31st Oct 1966 and to passengers 23rd July 1973. The last goods service used this part of the line in Sept 1987, the line was officially taken out of use March 1988. Now demolished. A cycleway and footpath follow the course of the Riverside branch just missing the site of the station. The sidings served Maling and Sons Ford Pottery, St Peters Oil Gas Works, Scott's Quarry and two chemical manure firms. The station was single storey brick structure in H-plan. It had a subway connecting the 2 platforms. The station buildings at St Peters, St Anthony's, Walker and Willington Quay were all the same H-plan structure with a cantilevered platform awning embraced by cross wings. Designed by Benjamin Burleigh.
<< HER 4343 >> 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1899, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 97, NE; http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/st.peters/