Tyne and Wear HER(4423): Sunderland, Church of St John the Evangelist - Details
Sunderland, Church of St John the Evangelist
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
This church was built in 1764-69 on land known as Lee's Close. The promoter of the church, John Thornhill also designed it, and was later buried there. The church was brick-built in a similar style to Holy Trinity (HER ref. 4421) of which it was a daughter chapel until it acquired parish status in 1875. When the barracks were built close by, it became the garrison church. It was demolished in 1972 and its organ is in Sunderland Museum.
<< HER 4423 >> J. Rain, 1785, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth Clay, Miller & Milburn, 1984, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth, p 35 N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 450