Tyne and Wear HER(4424): Sunderland, Corn Market Salem Chapel - Details
Sunderland, Corn Market Salem Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Calvinistic Methodist Church
Calvinist. Built c. 1711 and shown on the Eye Plan as "Meeting House" between Low Street and High Street (later Half Moon Lane on Woods 1826 map). Later became a saloon and was at some point partly destroyed by fire. Salem Chapel, commonly called Corn Market Chapel is described at this location with the date 1827 by Bain, but wrongly located at 199 The High Street by Mackenzie and Ross. Replaced by Jireh Chapel, Borough Road.
<< HER 4424 >> G.W. Bain, 1904, the Ancient Chapel of the Corn Market, Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. 5,p 50-59 Mackenzie & Ross, 1834, Historical...View of the County Palatinate of Durham, p 294; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non Conformist Chapels in Sunderland; Whellan, 1856, Directory of County Durham, p665; Kirton, Places of Worship in Old Sunderland (www.sunderland-antiquarians.org)