Tyne and Wear HER(4436): Sunderland, Assembly Rooms - Details
Sunderland, Assembly Rooms
The Assembly Rooms were to the west of Holy Trinity and are shown on Rain’s Eye Plan with a range of buildings to the south, a square or green in front, and a wall and railing with a gate to the east. A later range of buildings was built on the north side. Both ranges were almshouses. In the 18th century the assembly rooms were taken over by the Trustees of the Sunderland Muster Roll as a charity for disabled sailors and their dependants.
<< HER 4436 >> J. Rain, 1785, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth Clay, Miller & Milburn, 1984, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth, p 33 J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of Sunderland, Bishopwearmouth and Monkwearmouth