Tyne and Wear HER(4441): Sunderland, Panns Ferry - Details
Sunderland, Panns Ferry
Before the construction of the bridges, the Pann’s Ferry boat for cattle and horses was the only way to cross the river at this point. On the north side the landing was just below Beamish Drop and on the south side, just below the site of the later Fenwick's glass house (HER ref. 4409), on "Molly Linton's Quay". The road to the Pann’s ferry and the ferry itself are shown on Rain’s Eye Plan.
<< HER 4441 >> J. Rain, 1785, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth J.T. Middlemiss, 1902, Sunderland Ferry, Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. 3 p 1