Tyne and Wear HER(4442): Bishopwearmouth, Clark's Tannery - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Clark's Tannery
Leather Industry Site
Green Terrace has a long association with tanning, probably due to the fact that a burn provided this area with a reliable water supply.. A tannery is mentioned in the Halmote Court Records in 1706. It survived as Clark’s Tannery until 1860, when it was taken over by Caleb Richardson who established a steam-powered flour mill on the site.
<< HER 4442 >> J. Rain, 1785, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth Clay, Miller & Milburn, 1984, An Eye Plan of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth, p 39 C.B. Walker, 1977, The East End of Sunderland, Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. 27, p 40 J.W.Corder, 1929, Bishopwearmouth Village in 1790, Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. 19, p 48