Tyne and Wear HER(4445): Sunderland, site of C17 Pier - Details
Sunderland, site of C17 Pier
The first grant to build a pier at Sunderland was in 1669 when Charles II allowed Edward Andrew the right to charge tonnage on vessels entering the harbour, to build a pier and lighthouses, to control the casting of ballast and to keep the harbour clear of shoals and sand-banks. The site of this pier has not been located.
<< HER 4445 >> G. McCombie, 1997, The Development of Sunderland Town Moor, p 14