Tyne and Wear HER(4446): Sunderland, C18 Quay Wall - Details
Sunderland, C18 Quay Wall
A programme of planned improvements to Sunderland harbour began after the River Wear Commissioners were formed and in 1718 asked James Fawcett to survey the harbour. The first construction project was a pier on the south bank of the river. It has been suggested (by Skempton) that the amount spent by the commissioners during 1719-1720 indicates the construction of a substantial quay wall running about 250 feet south-west to the Custom's House.
<< HER 4446 >> A.W. Skempton, 1975, The Engineers of Sunderland Harbour, Industrial Archaeoogical Review, Vol. 1 no. 2, p 105-125