Tyne and Wear HER(4452): Sunderland, Pottery Bank, Pottery - Details
Sunderland, Pottery Bank, Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
A pottery was sited at the mouth of the river Wear on the south bank in 1753. This was probably the Sunderland or Garrison Pottery, founded circa 1750. Garrison Pottery is shown on Thomas Meik’s, "View of an improved entrance to Sunderland Harbour", a lithograph of 1849. Wood’s plan of 1826 shows a pottery works on Pottery Bank.
<< HER 4452 >> J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of Sunderland, Bishopwearmouth and Monkwearmouth G.W. Ball, 1906, Potteries of Sunderland, Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. 7 J. Barker, (ed.) 1984, Sunderland Pottery, p 8