Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Sunderland, Villiers Street, No. 19, Presbyterian Chapel

Tyne and Wear HER(4457): Sunderland, Villiers Street, No. 19, Presbyterian Chapel - Details

Back to Search Results


4457


Sunderland


Sunderland, Villiers Street, No. 19, Presbyterian Chapel


Sunderland


NZ45NW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Place of Worship


Presbyterian Chapel


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


‘St George’s Chapel’/Smyrna Chapel (Presbyterian). 1825 -1890, by James Hogg, for group from Robinson’s Lane. Cost c£4000. 1890 Congregation moved to Belvedere Road - the building then passed to another body of Presbyterians which had previously occupied meeting houses in Borough Road (Smyrna Chapel) and Spring Garden Lane, and was renamed ,‘St James’ Chapel’). Pedimented ashlar front; coursed squared stone returns and rear with ashlar dressings. Classical style.the date MDCCCXXV appears in raised letters on the pediment. In front are contemporary iron railings, gates and scrolled overthrow’.Now business training centre. LISTED GRADE 2


4010


5699


NZ40105699



<< HER 4457 >> Mackenzie & Ross, 1834, Historical....View of the County Palatinate of Durham, p 294 N. Pevsner, (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 451; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non-Conformist Chapels in Sunderland

Back to Search Results