Tyne and Wear HER(4461): Sunderland, Villiers Street, Bethel Chapel - Details
Sunderland, Villiers Street, Bethel Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Built in 1811 according to Mackenzie and Ross, and 1817 according to Pevsner. Built for the Independent Congregationalists. Enlarged in 1826 at which time substantial underground burial vaults were built to the north (HER 16557). Designed by a Mr Hogg for Independent seceders from Presbyterian meeting in Robinson’s Lane. Five-bay pedimented façade of rendered rubble with an entrance door and segmental window in a slightly recessed entrance bay. The chapel was similar in layout to St. George's Chapel further down Villiers Street (HER 4457). The chapel was out of use by 1933. Demolished in 1978/9 apart from its northern wall which also forms the southern wall of the adjacent Sunday School (HER 16556). This was finaly demolished in 2010.
N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 450; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2014, List of Non-Conformist Chapels in Sunderland