Tyne and Wear HER(4490): South Shields, Laygate, Holy Trinity Church - Details
South Shields, Laygate, Holy Trinity Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Built between 1832-4 by Salvin and demolished in 1980. West tower with stair-turret; the planned spire not built. Five-bay arcades on circular piers. Chancel and double-gabled transepts by R.J. Johnson of Austin, Johnson & Hicks, 1878-9. Demolished 1977.
<< HER 4490 >> N. Pevsner (second edition revised by Elizabeth Williamson), 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham, p 416