Tyne and Wear HER(4554): North Shields, C18 Quay - Details
North Shields, C18 Quay
In the 17th century Newcastle continued to attempt to prevent development at North Shields, complaining about the ships unloading and loading there in 1684. The burgesses and Newcastle Trinity House attempted to resist proposals to build a quay at the Low Lights in 1699. However, they were unsuccessful and by 1714 a quay had been built there, and another near to the ferry boat landing at the west end of the town (HER ref. 4555).
<< HER 4554 >> H.H.E., Craster 1907 History of Northumberland Vol. VIII, p 308