Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, Old High Light

Tyne and Wear HER(4556): North Shields, Old High Light - Details

Back to Search Results


N Tyneside

North Shields, Old High Light

North Shields



Navigation Aid


Post Medieval


Extant Building

The Old High Light was erected in 1727 and burnt three candles instead of two. It were given copper reflectors in 1736, and oil lamps were substituted for candles in 1773. Lightage dues were levied according to the tonage of the vessel in 1801 and finally abolished in 1862. On 2nd March 1805 at a general meeting of the shipowners of North and South Shields it was unanimously resolved that the leading lights at North Shields stood too far and formed too great an angle with the channel, and that application should be made to Parliament for an Act for the purpose of building two lighthouses. The New High Light (HER 2129) was built in 1807. The Old High Light was subsequently converted into almshouses. The high light still stands little changed. The lantern turret of the low light was removed to make way for an additional storey and the building has now no resemblance to a lighthouse {6}. Lighthouse, later almshouses, now house. 1727 for Trinity House of Newcastle upon Tyne. Painted render and brick, Welsh slate roof. Lead roof to lead-covered lantern, with large ball finial on its ogee-hipped roof. Four storeys with later porch and left extension. C20 glazing to windows. Eroded plaque between first and second floors commemorates conversion to almshouses in 1807. Listed mainly for historical interest. LISTED GRADE 2




<< HER 4556 >> J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth J. Fryer, 1772, A Plan of the Low Part of the River Tyne 1757, Map of North Shields W.S. Garson, 1926, The Origin of North Shields, p13 M. Hope Dodds, 1928, The North Shields Lighthouses; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 15/126

Back to Search Results