Tyne and Wear HER(4558): North Shields, Pow Burn Bridge - Details
North Shields, Pow Burn Bridge
Road Transport Site
In the mid 17th century a bridge crossed the Pow Burn at the east end of the town to give access to the main street. In 1648 Newcastle Trinity House contributed to the building of a bridge over the runner at the Low Lights. Post Medieval maps do not show this bridge but it does appear on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan of the area.
<< HER 4558 >> H.H.E. Craster, 1907, History of Northumberland, Vol. VIII, p 306 E. Mackenzie, 1827, Newcastle, p 682