Tyne and Wear HER(4559): North Shields, Dogger Letch Bridge - Details
North Shields, Dogger Letch Bridge
Road Transport Site
The Dogger Letch, swampy ground at the west end of Low Street, was crossed in the 17th century by a wooden bridge connecting the present Liddle and Clive Streets. A toll house was located nearby which was demolished in 1857. The wooden bridge is marked on Wood’s 1827 map. Craster states that a causeway called the Half Moon led from the wooden bridge to Bank head and continued as Church Way to the parish church.
<< HER 4559 >> J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth