Tyne and Wear HER(4571): North Shields, Howard Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - Details
North Shields, Howard Street, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Methodist Chapel in Howard Street. Shown on Woods map of 1827. Built in 1807 or 1808, cost £2500, seated 2000. In 1891 the chapel became a theatre when Albion Road Memorial Church was built. In 1908 it became a cinema (Howard Hall) and was still operating in 1933. The cinema was known locally as 'The Ranch' because it showed lots of westerns.
<< HER 4571 >> J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle & North Tyneside; Eric Hollerton, 1997, The Archive Photographs Series - North Shields