Tyne and Wear HER(4579): North Shields, Stephenson Street, Friends Burial Ground - Details
North Shields, Stephenson Street, Friends Burial Ground
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Friends Burial Ground
This Quaker Burial Ground is associated with the meeting house shown on Wood’s 1827 map (HER ref. 4574). The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan of 1857 shows the burial ground as nearly square. Two houses separate it from the Crown and Sceptre Tavern to the north. The 1:500 Ordnance Survey map of 1894 shows "Friends Burial Ground (Disused) and a meeting house with seats for 250 people. The site is now covered by new housing, presumably a second generation since World War 2. The graveyard was cleared in 1945, the bodies presumably reinterred, and the gravestones re-erected along the east end of the south wall of Preston Cemetery. A plaque records the event.
<< HER 4579 >> J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89 1876, Shields Daily News, 15th September 1876 1940, Compulsory Purchase Order Deeds - Tyne and Wear Archive Service, T159/184 1938, Plan of some of the burials -Tyne and Wear Archive Service, T159/123 1800, Tyne and Wear Archive Service, 29 & 30/4/1800; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle & North Tyneside