Tyne and Wear HER(4583): North Shields, New Quay - Details
North Shields, New Quay
A deep water facility, the New Quay, was constructed at the western end of the town at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1803 the right to hold a market at North Shields was finally granted, and in 1806 a market place on the New Quay was formed. The foundation stone for the New Quay and Market Place was laid by the Duke of Northumberland on the 4th October 1806. The scheme included a number of buildings which were never completed. It was designed by David Stephenson, the Percy family's estate architect, who was responsible for All Saints Church in Newcastle. The New Quay provided access for ships of up to 300 tons. The market place is shown on Wood's 1827 map and the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan. A photograph taken circa 1910 is reproduced in Hollerton’s book of historic photographs (1997, p 41). From 1901 to August 1931, a tramline ran from the New Quay to the links bandstand in Whitley Bay.
<< HER 4583 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 89 H.H.E. Craster, 1907, History of Northumberland, Vol. VIII, p 311; R. Simpson, 1988, North Shields and Tynemouth, p 5; Tyne and Wear County Council, North Shields Riverside Trail Leaflet; FISHcast, sub-group of FISH (Folk Interested in Shields Harbour), 2007, North Shields - The New Quay and The Fish Quay Conservation Areas - FISHcast Community Character Statement; Lynn F Pearson, 1989, The Northumbrian Pub - an architectural history, p 42