Tyne and Wear HER(4585): North Shields, Fish Market - Details
North Shields, Fish Market
North Shields prospered in the 19th century, becoming an important fishing station and supply base for the merchant and fishing fleet which tied off at an extensive series of small quays along the river between Low Light and Bull Ring. A new fish market was built in the market place in 1820 and is shown on Woodâ€™s 1827 map.
<< HER 4585 >> J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth H.H.E. Craster, 1907, History of Northumberland, Vol. VIII, p 314