Tyne and Wear HER(4599): South Shields, Mill Dam bridge/Deanbridge - Details
South Shields, Mill Dam bridge/Deanbridge
Road Transport Site
A bridge, possibly called Deanbridge carried a lane across Mill Dam. There are frequent accounts of 17th century repairs to this bridge. A wooden bridge crossing the Mill Dam is described by Hodgson as barely wide enough for one vehicle to cross. This bridge divided the town into the over and under dammers, "Fishergate" and "Panngate", emphasising the focus of fishing at one end of the town and salt making at the other. A bridge is shown on Richardson's map of 1768 and on Fryer's map of 1772. The bridge may have been preceded by or coexisited with a ford over the Mill Dam (HER ref. 1902).
<< HER 4599 >> J. Fryer, 1772, A Plan of the Low Part of the River Tyne Richardson, 1768, Plan of South Shields and Westoe G.B. Hodgson, 1903, The Borough of South Shields, p 138, 121 K, Inkster & S. Speak, 1998, Coronation Street, South Shields, Archaeological Assessment, p 8; Prospect Archaeology, 2015, South Shields Masterplan - Archaeological Assessment