Tyne and Wear HER(4616): Marsden, Kitchener Battery - Details
Marsden, Kitchener Battery
This World War One battery site lies just west of Souter lighthouse. It consisted of a turret mounting Two 12 inch guns with extensive underground works to accommodate operating mechanisms, crew nd ammunition. There were also above ground buildings for signalling and control. The turret and guns were removed in 1924, but the underground works were refurbished for use as an ammunition store during World War Two. The site has since been largely quarried away.
<< HER 4616 >> R. Hogg, 1984, The Tyne Turrets: coastal defence in the First World War, Fort, Vol. 12 (1984), p 97-103 D. Clarke & A. Rudd, 1989, Tyneside in the Breech Loading Era, Fortress, No. 3, pp 33-42 E.W. Sockett, 1994, The North East Coast Defences of England during WW1, Tyne and Tweed, No. 48, pp 12-32