Tyne and Wear HER(4684): Ouseburn, Glasshouse Bridge - Details
Title of image: Glasshouse Bridge, Newcastle
Date: 19th Century
Description: Vignette illustration of Glasshouse Bridge.
Additional info: Engraving
Location/Collection: Robinson Library Special Collections, local illustrations
Accession number: ILL/11/9
Provider: Robinson Library Newcastle University
Copyright: Â© Copyright 2013 Newcastle University
Ouseburn, Glasshouse Bridge
A stone bridge over the Ouseburn referred to as 'Glass House Bridge' is shown on Hutton's map of Newcastle, 1770. It is thought to have been built in 1609, and was rebuilt three times between 1619 and 1908 when it was finally demolished as the quayside was extended. It had already been superceded by the high level Glasshouse Bridge which lies some 50 metres to the north. The name 'Glasshouse' came from the numerous glass-making houses which were established on the east side of the Ouseburn mouth in the 17th and 18th centuries.
<< HER 4684 >> Ove Arup & Partners, 1998, Lower Steenberg's Yard - Byker, Engineering Study Hutton, 1770, Map of Newcastle 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1856 R.W. Rennison, 2002, Three Overlooked Bridges in Newcastle, Archaologia Aeliana, Series 5, Volume XXX, pp 163-171