Tyne and Wear HER(47): Fulwell manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
Fulwell manor was given to the priory of Durham by Bishop William of St. Carileph, and became part of the bursar's property. Buildings recorded there in the manorial and bursar's accounts between the 14th -16th centuries include a hall, chamber, cowhouse, stable, grange and dovecot. The site has not been located, but the largest barn on the Church Commissioners' map has been suggested as a possibility.
<< HER 47 >> Prior's Kitchen Durham Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, med. Bursar's account roills Prior's Kitchen Durham Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, med. Manorial account rolls Prior's Kitchen Durham Durham Dean and Chapter MSS, med. Halmote Books W. Greenwell, ed. 1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society,Vol. 58, pp. Prior's Kitchen Durham Church Commission, 1779, Monkwearmouth, Southwick, Fulwell, C.C. no. 13654 J. Fielding, 1980, A Study of the Buildings on the Bursar's Manors of Durham Priory, Durham University, Unpublished M.A. thesis Rev. J. Raine, 1854, The Inventories and Account Rolls of Jarrow and Monkwearmouth, Surtees Society, 29, p. 199