Tyne and Wear HER(4704): Sunderland, Burdon Road, Nos. 1 - 4, Burdon House - Details
Sunderland, Burdon Road, Nos. 1 - 4, Burdon House
Burdon House was built between 1914 and 1917 as shops and offices for the North Eastern Railway Company. The 3-story building was designed in a restrained classical style by William Bell (1844-1919). It is constructed with black granite at street level. Rusticated ground floor has pilasters framing door in 9th bay under high overlight, in round-headed surround with hollow reveals, and supporting shop entablature with fascia name boards. Giant pilasters to upper floors rest on moulded brackets and frame pairs of sashes, the lower in architraves, the upper with keyed segmental-headed architraves on moulded sills with plain rectangular aprons. The subsequent stories are constructed out of local coal measures sandstone. Top entablature with dentilled cornice supports balustraded roof parapet. Ashlar; roof not visible; ashlar chimneys. 10 x 3 windows. Low-pitched roof has corniced end ashlar chimneys. Right return similar. Left return has central 3-light mullioned and transomed windows flanked by 2-storey shallow box tripartite oriels.
<< HER 4704 >> Buildings Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest, 920-1/20/23; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland, 1814-1914, p 19; N.T. Sinclair, 1986, Railways of Sunderland, p 22; Tumman, J, Johnson, M and Lane, A (no date) A walk around Historic Sunderland- The Fawcett and Sunniside Estates