Tyne and Wear HER(4715): Sunderland, Tatham Street, No. 64 - Details
Sunderland, Tatham Street, No. 64
House, later manse to Primitive Methodist Church, before reversion to domestic use. Probably 1840; changed use and front to Tatham Street altered 1875. Rendered with painted ashlar dressings on Tatham Street front; rear elevation to Back Tatham Street. Garden wall bond brick (5 and one) with painted ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with brick chimneys. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; entrance front to Tatham Street. 3 windows with steps to central half - glazed door in pilaster surround with bracketed hood; canted bay windows with hipped roofs flank door; sashes with glazing bars and painted projecting stone sills immediately over door and above canted bays; small sash inserted to right of centre on first floor. Hipped roof on deep bracketed eaves has front and rear ridge chimney stacks. Rear, original elevation to Back Tatham Street has 4 windows and narrow one - storey porch set back at left. Partly - glazed door in left set - back porch under monopitch roof. Giant angle pilasters with cornices support deep bracketed eaves over ground floor sashes with glazing bars and aprons and first floor sashes with painted projecting stone sills, all with wedge stone lintels; roof has late19th century canted dormer with hipped roof. Wide painted ashlar panel at centre, with quadrant corners, has lost inscription. LISTED GRADE 2
<< HER 4715 >> Buildings Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest, 920-1/14/216; Tumman, J, Johnson, M and Lane, A (no date) A walk around Historic Sunderland- The Fawcett and Sunniside Estates.