Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Monkwearmouth, Fulwell Road, All Saints Church

Tyne and Wear HER(4789): Monkwearmouth, Fulwell Road, All Saints Church - Details

Back to Search Results


4789


Sunderland


Monkwearmouth, Fulwell Road, All Saints Church


Monkwearmouth


NZ35NE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Place of Worship


Parish Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


This Early English style Parish church was built in 1847-1849 to a design by John Dobson. It is built in coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth coping, quoins and dressings, and has a Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and finials, topped by a stone spire. The chancel has a vestry to the north, and the nave has a south aisle, south-west spire and south porch. Internally there are the original pews with shaped ends, a gothic pulpit, and a WW2 font of polished limestone with a fluted bowl on a slim pedestal. The stained glass includes possibly original mid-19th century glass in the east windows, with geometric bands, and some high-quality mid-20th century glass. Alexander Boddy, vicar from 1886 to 1922, was a founder of the pentecostal movement. LISTED GRADE 2


3986


5825


NZ39865825



<< HER 4789 >> Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest, 920-1/4/86; Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 13

Back to Search Results