Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Roker, Roker Pier

Tyne and Wear HER(4800): Roker, Roker Pier - Details

Back to Search Results



Roker, Roker Pier




Landing Point


Early Modern



The pier and lighthouse (HER ref. 4975) carries lamp standards and railings which continue for a short distance along the promenade. The first recommendations for the structure, by Sir John Coode in 1876, were ammended by River Wear Commission engineer Henry Hay Wake in 1882. It was built in 1885-1903 of rubble and cement foundation with a red and white granite pier and lighthouse, and cast-iron railings. The curved plan pier is approx. 900 metres long, extending from a parapet approx. 100 metres to the north along the promenade, and from a wall in the quadrant curve to the south. The foundation stone was laid on 14th September 1885 and completion recorded on a stone set in the lighthouse, dated 23rd September 1903. The engineer was Henry Hay Wake acting for the River Wear Commissioners. This was the only one of the two piers begun by Wake to be completed, the south pier being abandoned shortly after. In 1903 this was the most powerful port light in the country. LISTED GRADE 2




<< HER 4800 >> Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest, 920-1/5/182; Milburn GE and Miller ST, 1988, Sunderland River, Town and People, 19; Penny Middleton, Northern Archaeological Associates, 2012, Roker Lighthouse and Pier, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Building Recording and Statement of Significance; D Bell, 1904, The Sunderland Year Book; W Cranmer, 1919, The History of Sunderland; P O'Brien and P Gibson, 1997, Seaburn and Roker; LF Pearson, 1998, Lighthouses; River Wear Commissions Archive (ICW) held by Tyne and Wear Archives; plans by the River Wear Commission held by Sunderland Port Authority Archive; Sunderland Daily Echo 23 Sept 1903; Herald and Daily Post 29 August 1892

Back to Search Results