Tyne and Wear HER(4859): Gateshead, Oakwellgate Public Baths & Washhouse - Details
Gateshead, Oakwellgate Public Baths & Washhouse
Health and Welfare
The Oakwellgate Public Baths and Washhouse (laundries), designed by William Hall the Borough Engineer, were erected at a cost of £4,300 in 1854 on a site previously occupied by several small buildings belonging to the Rectory. The Baths opened in 1855. In 1884 it was reported that the laundry facilities were heavily used by the working class, but the Baths less so, due to high charges. By WW1 the Baths had become Reay Gearworks, and remained as commercial and manufacturing premises until burned down in 1986, after which some archaeological investigation was carried out. The Baths were a Grade II listed building. A carved stone goat's head, which surmounted the Corporation crest on the central gable of the façade has been built into the stone wall around the present car park.
<< HER 4859 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2009, West Central Gateshead - Archaeological Assessment; Gateshead Library - 1971 Photograph of Oakwellgate Baths (GL001356)