Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Gateshead, Maiden's Walk Coal Drops

Tyne and Wear HER(4860): Gateshead, Maiden's Walk Coal Drops - Details

Back to Search Results



Gateshead, Maiden's Walk Coal Drops




Lifting and Winding Structure

Coal Drop

Early Modern



The Coal Drops were added as a secondary feature to the Brandling Junction Railway’s Oakwellgate station, built across open ground held by Cuthbert Ellison on lease from the Bishop of Durham. The drops, which are likely to have been built after 1838 and before 1844, consist of a series of 15 piers built of local sandstone rubble with dressed quoins. Two phases of construction are apparent, with the eight southernmost drops having thinner piers than the remaining six to the north. The eight southerly drops are shown on an undated plan by Thomas Bell. The Coal Drops did not as has previously been thought, serve the incline to the quay. On the undated plan by Thomas Bell the drops are clearly set off to the east of the incline and this arrangement is confirmed by Oliver's plan of 1844 which shows the seven southernmost drops covered with a long building, while the remaining six are open. The drops were an independent facility, presumably providing a landsale outlet for coals and lime, without any physical connection to the incline which began on the north side of Oakwellgate station. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan marks the drops as 'Oakwellgate Depot (Coal and Lime)'. These are a rare and interesting industrial survival with some architectural pretension. LISTED GRADE 2




<< HER 4860 >> Gateshead Council, 1999, The Restoration of Maiden's Walk Coal Drops Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Maiden's Walk Coal Drops, Gateshead Report on structural recording by former NCAU T. Oliver, 1838, Plan of Newcastle... and Gateshead showing the late improvements Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment Listed Buildings, Dept. of Environment, A List of Buildings of Special... Interest, 5099 T. Cormack, 1994, Maiden's Walk Coal and Lime Depot, The North Eastern Express, Journal of NER Association I Ayris & S.M. Linsley, 1994, A Guide to the industrial archaeology of Tyne and Wear, p 38; The Archaeological Practice Ltd., 2009, West Central Gateshead - Archaeological Assessment

Back to Search Results