Tyne and Wear HER(4861): Gateshead, Brandling Junction Railway Quay - Details
Gateshead, Brandling Junction Railway Quay
In 1838 the Brandling Junction Railway Company obtained permission from the Corporation to erect a quay at the east end of Hillgate, which was in place by 1844. This was the terminus of the inclined tubway from Oakwellgate Station goods depot, and included a timber drop for transferring coal and lime to shipping. By 1864 the Brandling Junction Quay had become the North-East Railway Wharf. By 1940 it was cleared of buildings, and rebuilt as a General Post Office sorting office by 1985.
<< HER 4861 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment