Tyne and Wear HER(4863): Gateshead, Dock Staith - Details
Gateshead, Dock Staith
Water Transport Site
By the late 17th century there were two staiths in this part of Gateshead. Rock Staith, and some 70 metres to the east, Dock Staith. The space between the two was possibly the wet dock referred to in a lease document of 1705. These were collectively known as 'the Bishopps Staiths', suggesting that they originated when the Bishops of Durham controlled the Manor of Gateshead. By 1835 the former Dock Staith accomodated the Kibblesworth Coal Staith, Hawk's Anchor Works and Abbot Quay. Shortly before WW2, Joseph Rank Ltd established the Baltic Flour Mills on the site of both Rock and Dock Staiths.
<< HER 4863 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment