Tyne and Wear HER(4864): Gateshead, Abbot's Stairs Lime Kilns - Details
Gateshead, Abbot's Stairs Lime Kilns
Between 1802 and 1827 a bank of two lime kilns was constructed against the escarpment immediately west of Abbot's Stairs. The kilns were probably operated by William Hymers & Co, the only lime burners in Gateshead at that time. A public house called the Lime Kiln Inn, presumably catering for thirsty limeburners, was established on the west side of Abbot's Stairs by 1858. The kilns had disappeared (or been buried) by the end of the 19th century.
<< HER 4864 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment J. Wood, 1827, Plan of Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead Williams, 1841, Directory of Newcastle and Gateshead