Tyne and Wear HER(4867): Gateshead, Inclined railway - Details
Gateshead, Inclined railway
By the middle of the 19th century the easterly part of the Rector's Field was occupied by the tracks and sidings of the Coal, Coke and Lime depot and the inclined tubway. The incline ran north from the raised Oakwellgate station, under what by 1898 was called Abbot's Road, and descended the escarpment bridging across South Shore Road to terminate at the Brandling Railway Staith. A sandstone bridge abutment for this incline survives on the south side of South Shore Road at the junction of Bank Road.
<< HER 4867 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment