Tyne and Wear HER(4868): Gateshead, Inclined railway - Details
Gateshead, Inclined railway
An incline was built between 1865 and 1870 cutting across the north-east corner of Rector's Field, passing by means of a cutting under Abbot's Road and Bank Road down to Hillgate Quay. South of Abbot's Road no incline is now visible and the cutting under the road itself has been infilled with concrete. A short section of the incline, including the arched mouth of the road tunnel, survives between Abbot's Road and Bank Road, and the incline can be seen emerging from another now blocked opening in the retaining wall on the north side of Bank Street.
<< HER 4868 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1998, Gateshead Regional Music Centre, Archaeological Desk Top Assessment