Tyne and Wear HER(4875): Jarrow, Church of St. Paul, churchyard - Details
Jarrow, Church of St. Paul, churchyard
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The churchyard is surrounded by a random rubble wall with a concrete cope which is arched shaped in profile. To the north of the church (HER 1229) are fine 19th century single stone gate posts with Grecian detailing to the bases and capitals. The variation in material and size of stone indicates different periods. Some of the stone could have derived from the monastery or medieval village. The wall retains the graveyard which is at a higher level than the pavement and road to the north. The wall is in poor condition and is pointed with hard cement mortar which is causing moss build-up, water ingress and erosion of the stone. Tree roots are causing distortion and collapse of parts of the wall. Many graveslabs have been removed, others have been placed in a recumbent position. There is a mix of young and mature trees. The western appraoch has a serpentine path with benches. The north gates has fine ironwork, dented in places and fleur-de-lys leaves are missing. To the east of the church is the Drewhett family burial area, reached by a path around the north-east corner of the church. The tombs are of high quality. Thomas Drewett Brown inherited Jarrow Hall (HER 8070) and Jarrow Colliery from his father Thomas Brown in 1841.
South Tyneside Council, September 2006, St. Paul's Conservation Area Character Appraisal